08 July 2008

S is for...

Shoplifting.

On my way to the grocery store today, I stopped into the drug store. Liam was sound asleep in the front carrier, and Julia was sitting in the stroller. I talked to the pharmacist and then left the store, proud of Julia for being so quiet and patient when I knew she was hungry (I'd promised her a treat at the grocery store). I leaned over the sun shade of the pram to praise her for being so patient and noticed that she was eating something. I rushed around in front of her to find her munching on a Mento (and holding the rest of the package)! Before it clicked for me that she'd swiped them from the counter at the drug store, I said, "Julia, where'd you get those?!?" Clever girl sensed my tone, immediately spit the Mento into her hand and held the slobbery Mento and the remaining package out to me, saying, "Ta" (that's Aussie for "thanks"). Totally embarrassed (and feeling like an idiot for parking the toddler in front of the row of candy bars), I went back to pay for the stolen Mentos (they were nice and didn't charge us), and I crouched down in front of Julia and tried (very seriously at her eye level) to give Julia a short lecture on how you can't just take things at the store, but the moment had passed ("Julia, when we go to the store, we have to pay for things that we pick up." -- blank look-- "Mama?" -- "Yes, dear?" -- "Move please").

[Now that I can laugh about it, I can't believe I didn't have my camera with me!!]

1 comment:

odomfamilyfun said...

Hey! Can't wait for yall to come to JXN....Hayes and Caroline want to meet Liam and play with Juila...it will be so much fun. Bring your swim suits and we can all go swimming :)
Brittany