23 October 2008

We Miss You, Nana!

After many months of having the wonderful help and company of my mother, we finally had to let her return to her own life in Mississippi, and we are all missing her. Julia (and Liam, too, though less articulately) wish daily that Nana was still here, but explained to her that Nana went home to see G-Da. Julia responds to this adamantly with, "No, I want to see G-da" as if only she can possess that desire (we're in a very self-centered, possessive phase at the moment). Whenever I hear Julia saying to Matt, "No, I want Mommy" I now come in and say, "I want my mommy too." That always gives her a bit of a pause.

Anyway, we had a great last couple of weeks with Nana as we transitioned into new childcare arrangements and had a little bit more play time. After a very long search (that's a separate post in itself), we have hired a wonderful nanny, Kristy, who will be looking after Liam & Julia while I'm in classes and studying, and part of that time Julia will also be at her fabulous new school, Indooroopilly Montessori Children's House. Liam will also start there in January 2009.


Julia before her 1st day of school
(I would've liked a more formal picture to have for the scrapbooks, but then I realized it wasn't worth the fight and I haven't updated her scrapbook since her 1st birthday anyway...)

We got to continue Nana's birthday celebration at our house. Julia helped me bake a chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing. She was really helpful with the cake part, pouring in each ingredient that I measured out, stirring, sifting, etc. She also took it upon herself to taste each ingredient as it went in. The sugar was a hit. The coffee (it was decaf) and unsweetened cocoa powder, however, not so much. Once we made the icing though I let her lick the beaters, and she was in heaven! In fact after I'd iced the cake, she took the bowl when I turned my back for a second, hugged it tightly and proclaimed, "Mine!" (oh yeah, and she decided to cook in her hula skirt)

As a last treat for me Nana kept Liam for two nights again so that I could get some extra sleep. And just like last time, he had a blast -- swimming, playing on the beach, going for strolls, and of course just having all the attention and no big sis around for a couple of days. He thought it was great fun to help her pack too...so many exciting things to play with and a nice sturdy suitcase was perfect the perfect height to practice his cruising. Matt took Julia down to pick up Liam while I was studying that weekend, and they all had a great walk through the Burleigh Headlands. Of course we also just had a lot of our usual good days hanging out in between my classes. Nana and Julia had lots of tea parties. Liam crawled and babbled and worked on his new skill of pulling up and cruising along the furniture. Nana & I did get to have a day and night without the littlies, and we had a great walk on the beach and fabulous Italian meal and a lot of laughs.

We love you and miss you, Nana! Come back soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can pack a bag in a flash! Thanks for this sweet tribute. You all were in my dream last night and, amazingly, we were all in the Mercedes SLK two seater convertible. We all fit perfectly and were having a grand time. I choose to believe the dream means that All is possible and we will be together soon.