19 November 2008

The Annual Christmas Card Photo Attempt

Every year for as long as I can remember, my family has talked about sending Christmas cards. The kind with the cute family photo...everyone in matching outfits, gorgeous backdrop, etc. The kind we receive from family and friends every year. Yet somehow despite all our good intentions and even many attempts at the family photo, we have never actually sent a holiday card. These days it's a bit of a joke because the tradition of not having a Christmas card tradition has continued with my own little family. Don't get me wrong...we've all got some great pictures. It just turns out that despite sweeping mountain vistas or serene beach backdrops, when it comes down to the family portrait, we can't seem to manage one where we're all looking in the same direction or all have our eyes open. Or there's the classic one from Ireland when I was about 14 where Mama, Daddy, & I are at the top of a cliff in Ireland...perfect day...perfect scenery....but the wind changed direction right as the shutter clicked [pre-digital cameras] and although we're all looking right at the camera, our faces are all mostly obscured by the swirling mass of mine and my mom's long hair. Anyway, this is all simply leading up to this: the other day, I took photos of the kids for our Christmas card and true to tradition, the results were hilarious. Some of my favorites:
Yes, that's my daughter using her plastic chainsaw to slice her brother in half. Festive, right?


And here the adorable hug turned into mild strangling right as I took the photo.

Happy holidays to everyone with Thanksgiving fast approaching...maybe one of these days you'll get our Christmas card!