29 June 2008

P is for...

Peas.
Julia loves food and is not usually very picky about what she eats, although she's getting more particular about her meals as she nears two years old. Despite having a good dinner before bed each night, Julia wakes up (usually around 5:30) and (now that she can open her bedroom door) barges into the hall demanding, "Eats, eats!" So begins 1st breakfast, usually consisting of whatever breakfast item I can present the fastest (seriously, most mornings it's a plain piece of bread because she can't be bothered waiting for the toaster).
She often then gets distracted playing, and by 7 or 8am (after what seems already like a full morning), Julia is once again demanding "Eats, eats!" Consequently, I've taken a cue from Tay Gillespie at Strong River Camp & Farm, and we now have 2nd breakfast in our household. Typically, 2nd breakfast is oatmeal or eggs or fruit and yogurt, and I usually let Julia decide what she wants.
So the other morning started out as usual. Julia burst into the hallway and made a bee-line for the kitchen...woman on a mission. She had her bread (she even let me toast and put Vegemite on it), and we played for a couple of hours. Then round 2 began with Julia climbing up into her chair, requesting what sounded for all the world like "Peas." As I've mentioned before, Julia has many words but they're not always very clear, so I began my usual guessing game of what she was asking me for. Many times she says "Please" by itself as a request, so I started there.
The conversation went something like this:
Julia: "Pees?"
Mama: "Please, what, sweetie?"
Julia: "Pees"
Mama: "That's nice of you to say please, but what are you asking for?"
Julia: "Pees?"
Mama: "Piece? Do you want a piece of toast?"
Julia: "No. Pees"
Mama: "Do you want a piece of fruit?"
Julia: "No. Pees"
Mama (racking my brain and digging through the fridge and cupboard): "Oh, peach. Do you want some peaches?"
(Here I pulled out the fruit cups of diced peaches to show her, wondering in amazement how she even knew we had one of those in the pantry. She gave me a very confused look.)
Julia (getting frustrated with her dense mother now): "Peeeeeees"
Finally, it all clicked.
Mama (taking out the bag of frozen peas from the freezer): "Peas. You want peas. Frozen peas. For breakfast."
Julia: "Yes!" (with a look that said, "My gosh, my mom's an idiot, I've been saying that all along!) Another wonderful insight into the child's world: time means absolutely nothing. Allocating foods to certain meals is completely arbitrary. 7 in the morning or 6 at night, what difference does it make?! Julia proceeded to eat her peas (frozen at first, though she did eventually come around to my way of thinking and let me at least heat them for her), and she enjoyed them thoroughly!

1 comment:

Brink said...

Laura,
I am impressed with your alphabet blogging and with the style of your picture-posting! :)
We have a pea-lover too, and though she hasn't started asking for foods by name, I am sure that "pees" will be one of the first items on her list when she decides to verbalize.