22 February 2008

Family Visit Winds Down

We have been so lucky to have my family in town for these past weeks. My mom will (thankfully!) get to stay on to help for another two weeks, but unfortunately my dad (G-Da) and grandma (Gran-Gran) have to get on the plane and fly home tomorrow. They have all been such an amazing help, but I think we'll all have to admit that Grandma has been the real star, constantly cleaning up after us all, doing dishes, laundry, ironing, the lot! On their final night, they have decided to invite over 20 people for a combined celebration of Liam's arrival, Jon's (Matt's dad) birthday, and their final farewell. So today and yesterday have been filled with more cooking and cleaning in preparation. Julia has loved watching Gran-Gran make cakes and today got to help G-da make the salad dressing for tonight. The flurry of activity has helped ease the transition some too (and not just for Julia!). Only one night in, and I'm already seeing every change life with two children brings (for better and worse!). On the downside, I was up 6 times last night, alternating in the early hours of the morning between Julia and Liam, but on the upside, it is such fun to watch how sweet Julia is to her little brother. Yesterday she could hear him starting to cry but his little newborn squeals and grunts confused her a bit, so with every outburst she said, "Bless you" (well, her version of it is "Beesh") thinking perhaps he had sneezed! So cute!!

5 comments:

Brink said...

Laura,
A party, huh? Good for you. I am impressed. I hope that your sleep increases soon, and I will be so interested to hear more about your life with two small children. I am sure you will be great!
Katy

SPR said...

Yay I'm coming to the party :)

B said...

Congrats, Laura!! I can't wait to meet him! Beverly Easterling

Kathy Mc said...

What great pictures!! Mother looks happy and healthy. No surprise there...you have a happy and healthy home! Mother did many of those same chores for me when my boys were born Tradition lives on with her sweet spirit. Hope your sleep schedules improve (why do babies party all night and sleep all day?) Things should seattle into a routine soon. Enjoy help from Elizabeth. I'll check the blog often! Love Kathy Mc

odomfamilyfun said...

Laura,
Hey! I caught up on your family from Grandma yesterday. She said she had a wonderful time! Love that you are blogging!
Happy Sleepless nights!!!
Love,
Brittany